Mobi-C Cervical Disc
Mobi-C Cervical Disc Replacement
Advanced Spine Surgery
Is Disc Replacement Right for You?
Damaged Cervical Discs
Irritated Spinal Cord
Tried Non-Surgical Care
Benefits of Mobi-C
This disc implant, made of cobalt chromium alloy and polyethylene, restores the space between vertebrae and allows natural movement. One alternative used to treat damaged discs is anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF), where the unhealthy cervical disc is removed and replaced with bone or an implant. Removing the diseased discs offer pain relief, but not the same level of mobility as with the Mobi-C implant.
The Mobi-C cervical disc is one of the most widely used cervical discs in the world. The device’s endplates are plasma sprayed with titanium and coated with hydroxyapatite. There is also an ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene plastic insert. All are proven medical materials used in orthopedic applications successfully for more than 60 years.
The patented Mobile Core Technology™ allows flexion/extension and lateral bending, coupled with translation similar to natural neck motion. The greatest clinical benefit of artificial disc replacement with Mobi-C compared to alternative methods were seen in two-level applications. Other positive characteristics of this advanced cervical disc replacement system include:
- Designed to replicate the natural motion of the cervical spine.
- Patented Mobile Core Technology™ allows the polyethylene core to slide and rotate the disc for self-adjustment, reacting to the normal motion in the cervical spine.
- Reduces the stresses between the implant and adjacent bone
- Provides bone sparing fixation without chisel cuts into the small vertebral bodies.
- Does not require drilling keel cuts or screw holes into the bone, like other implant methods.
- Designed without a keel to be work for both one and two-level disc replacements.
- Clinical trials showed an overall success was 69.7% for Mobi-C and 37.4% for fusion.
- Lower rate of secondary surgeries (Mobi-C was 3.1%, versus 11.4% after spinal fusion.)
- Return to work time was 20.9 days shorter for Mobi-C patients compared to fusion patients.
- More Mobi-C patients showed improvement of neck disability.
Set up a comprehensive exam with Advanced Spine & Orthopedics to diagnose your neck pain and find out if you are a viable candidate for this advanced medical technology under the care of Dr. Kevin James. Schedule an appointment by contacting us online or calling our convenient location in Southlake.